I’m sure at some point in the past year you have heard or seen an advertisement for Hello Fresh. I felt like I couldn’t escape a commercial on the radio or on one of my husband’s podcasts. From October to mid-January, we gave in and tried it. I’m going to highlight some pros and cons of using Hello Fresh. These are all my opinions based on experience. I am in no way endorsed/sponsored by Hello Fresh. Results may vary, for example, it could be different from using it in the UK compared to the USA.
Pros of Using Hello Fresh:
- My husband and I were stuck in a food rut. It felt like we kept eating the same things. We both wanted to try something more healthy and Hello Fresh seemed like a good start.
- Helped figure out portion sizes and was less waste. We were used to making too much and then not being able to eat all the leftovers.
- Plenty of recipes to choose from each week. We were doing three meals a week for the two of us. We definitely had some repeats of favourites.
- The recipes we liked the best we kept for us to make again later. These recipes have been easy to repeat/alter to whatever we prefer.
- Produce was always fresh and in good condition.
Cons of Using Hello Fresh:
- Once we were using Hello Fresh for an extended amount of time, we felt like we had a good hang of making new recipes and improving our cooking skills. We also realised it wasn’t starting to be as cost effective the longer we were using it.
- We often had missing ingredients or even missing recipes. One recipe didn’t have the pdf online and customer service just said there was no pdf for that recipe. It was a pain trying to find the missing recipes. Customer service did give a discount on our next box when ingredients were missing, but it still was a headache.
- Recipes started to get boring. I was getting tired of having bell peppers each week or the sheer amount of potatoes that were included in recipes. Every once in a while, a really yummy recipe would appear, but the longer we used Hello Fresh, the more bored we were getting with meals.
- SO MUCH GARLIC! I love garlic, don’t get me wrong, but every week it seemed like we were getting another entire bulb of garlic! I wish there would’ve been an option to tell them not to send an ingredient. We still have about 10+ bulbs of garlic in our cabinet we are trying to work through.
Overall, I think Hello Fresh is good for a short amount of time and for those who want to learn more cooking skills/recipes. It was fun getting a box with new recipes each week and we do have some favourites we like to make again and again. However, it’s really not cost effective for long term users.